Monday, August 28, 2006

Goodbye Aunt


In rememberance of my Aunt Jane, who passed away this week, I want to make mention of her here.
Aunt Jane was the oldest of 5 children on my father's side of the family. She was always kind to me and I enjoyed several summer visits to their home in San Diego when I was a child. It's been more than 20 years since I stayed with her and I sometimes wish those days were back again, but I'm glad for the memories.
I last saw Aunt Jane at my baby shower in July, she didn't know if she could make it because she wasn't feeling too well, but I was happy she came and joined in my small celebration.
Aunt Jane's passing has brought a family gathering of old proportions, something our large family hasn't done for 2 decades, grandma's house is full of aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, great-grandchildren, extended family, and I know that it warms grandma's heart to see her house full to the brim with her family, many of us who have drifted apart over the past 20 years, not even writing or staying in touch, but we have common childhood memories and shared secrets and adventures that bring us back together in a way not possible with a room of strangers.
Aunt Jane will be missed dearly by her own 4 children and granddaughter, as well as by all of us who knew her and were part of her life. Godspeed.

No comments: