Monday, April 10, 2006

Bicycles and more bicycles

Art has gotten into Yahoo Auctions Japan, and has done fairly well. He sold his used soccer shoes for over 4,000 yen (maybe $35).

Anyway, I told him I'd be interested in a nice mountain bike so I could get out biking around our area, which is in the hills and I haven't been biking for about 5 years. So, he gets online and starts looking around, and finds a nice one starting for 5,000 yen, and he bids on it. It so happens that if you win that bike, you can get a second one just like it for the same price.

OK, so the auction is coming to its end and it looks like Art is going to lose it, so he starts bidding on another bicycle set, and it looks like that one is going to end too and he's losing it, so he bids on a single bike at another auction. It's late now, so he goes to bed.

The next day is White Day, a Japanese version of Valentine's Day for guys to give gifts to girls (that's a whole story in itself). I had to work, but we decided to meet out for lunch. During lunch Art asks me if I want to hear the bad news or the good news. I'm wondering whatever is he talking about?? So, I say the bad news, but he started with the good news--

Honey, I won the bike!
That's great! How much was it?
Well, ummm, let me explain..
Honey, how much was it??
Well, actually, I won 5 bikes.
What!? How did that happen--what are we going to do with 5 BIKES!!

And he told me the story above about how he thought he was losing so he wanted to be safe, and well, it was a bit of overkill.

I just could NOT believe it!!

Fortunately they all came from the same company, and he was able to cancel two of them. We gave one to Janina for a present, I kept one, and the last one we are trying to sell to someone else (any takers!?)

3 comments:

MareAmi said...

LOL what a dork!

Anonymous said...

Art keeps us well entertained!

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I was glad when dad got
5 bicycles!
(O∀<->∀<->∀O)
Λ  Λ !----------!
    (0∀0)~ ! thank !
(S( \~ ! you! !
     \\\~! by Sman !
      ― ― !----------!